Skip To Content

How do I correct my variable area flow meter for a gas with a different operating density?

You want to get a quick flow check on a different gas because the process gas is changing or you might be experimenting with the process, but you don't have a VA (variable area) flow meter that is calibrated for the different gas.

Enter the necessary information into the equation below and you'll get the flow rate for the different gas.

Things to Keep in Mind:
  • The meter has to be a size 8 (1/2" nominal size) or larger and of course the flow meter has to be capable of measuring the flow of the different gas.
  • Absolute Scale Unit Conversions:
    • psia = psia + 14.7
    • °R = °F + 460
  • If your experiment is successful, I recommend you get a flow meter so you don't have to calculate the flow rate every time you use the different gas.
Visit our Knowledgebase page for more answers to your questions.
Component datasource missing. Select a datasource for this component.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter Here!